Friday, October 31, 2014

END-OF-THE-WEEK-RUMINATIONS: "Do Not Go Gentle" (about the other night's post)


       I had memorized it previously but needed to refresh for sure.  I always think it will take only one recording for a poem performance.  Hah!  Screw a word.  Do over.  Next time, what was that awful noise during playback?  My grandson Micah had replugged in the ballclock I have behind me.  Steel balls go rattling down a slide on the hour!  Something made me a little uneasy during the next take, but I thought it had gone OK.  "Do not go gentle..." and "Rage, rage..." alternate as final lines of each successive stanza.   Had done two "Do not go gentles" in a row!  Fussing with the hardly professional lighting and look of things takes time too.  Thought the last take had made it.  Seemed good on replay.  Haven't had the courage to watch since.

       (See this page about the villanelle form Dylan Thomas chose, plus the poem itself.)   

No comments:

Post a Comment