Saturday, October 4, 2014

A Tale of Two Rabbis


       I recently heard a sermon.  The  conclusion I could endorse and accept, but I had no idea how the rabbi got to it.   The body of the sermon seemed to be heading in (an)other direction(s) entirely.   I was puzzled and dizzy with the twists the sermon took down dark alleyways, making sharp turns at high speed, endangering "life and limb" of those the rabbi had taken along for the ride.

       In other respects I thought this rabbi showed clear signs of being a good, reliable congregational rabbi.

       When we were first married, Connie and I heard great sermons for several months of a rabbi near our home in N.Y.C.   He gave literate, thoughtful. well constructed sermons every week, with point and value, smiles and tears, beautiful imagery,  colorful examples, inspiring anecdotes.  The congregation fired him, and I was told, to my astonishment, that's ALL he had time for each week:   "No, I'm sorry, the rabbi is writing his sermon."  He was never available for any needs of his congregants.

No comments:

Post a Comment