Thursday, October 23, 2014

I'm going to get a TSHATSHKE


       The Yiddish Book Center wants help, and it's hard to resist a four page letter that is packed with good reasons to send along some gelt.

       Can a guy interested in language turn down an outfit that's rescuing one?  Rescuing books themselves written in it, scanning those books for online perpetuity,  teaching the language to youngsters, translating these books into English for those who can't read Yiddish.

       Yes, it isn't only that they're rescuing a language, but my grandparents spoke it in my hearing, my parents spoke it somewhat, I know a few words, and some Yiddish is even English now (gelt).  It's too close to home not to help.

       Besides, I get a tshatshke (tchotchke), a commemorative Yiddish Kitchen Magnet, and it's useful! 

No comments:

Post a Comment