Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Christopher Columbus Transcontinental Highway


       There's always a certain air of excitement when we leave friends in Santa Monica, get on the 10 Freeway and see a sign announcing something challenging, adventurous, fundamentally American.  This is how it looks:


Coming closer, I glimpse more clearly the words that turn me on, and make me smile:


We've just put the Pacific behind us; the 10 will take us all the way there, to the Atlantic.  I'm ready to explore, my sense of discovery aroused.  So's my wife's I hope, because we're GOING, and the motor seems to gun itself!

OK, OK, so in a couple of miles , we take a left turn, and the 405 shoots North to the San Fernando Valley.  My great reverse traverse of American vastness West to East has been cut unmercifully short!

But we can still see our Santa Monica friends again, AND...renew the glorious stimulus of this imagined adventure.  It begins HERE!

3 comments:

  1. Well, I thought I just published a comment about this, but after all my effort and logging in it doesn't show. Suffice it to say ZI like the post and feel the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Offensive, I find naming this highway in Tongva territory after a European colonial murdering, rapest offensive

    ReplyDelete
  3. Offensive, I find naming this highway in Tongva territory after a European colonial murdering, rapest offensive

    ReplyDelete