Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Poet Rachel Zucker Talks to Kids

     
       “I have something very important to tell you. . . . ”  I lean in close to the kids in the classroom and lower my voice to a whisper.  “You probably think you have two eyes, right?”  They nod.  “Well, you don’t.”  They look around at each other.  Some of them laugh.  “You each also have a third eye.”  One girl scowls at me disapprovingly...

       “Your third eye is invisible, so no one knows exactly where it is, but most people think it’s right here.”  I touch the spot between my eyes and above my eyebrows.  The kids touch their foreheads.... 
“Everyone has a third eye,” I explain.  “That’s how you see all the things in the world you can’t really see but know are there...like how a whale would look if it was pretending to be a princess.”  The kids nod and giggle.

No comments:

Post a Comment