Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Distracting Myself from the Stress


       The nurse who checked my medical profile I thought said her name was "Juan," but it was "Wuan..." and a much longer name to follow, and she was not Hispanic, but Thai, the nationality with long names, like my dermatologist's:   Borirakchanyavat.

       My anesthesiologist appeared Japanese, but with the colonoscopy about to begin, I failed to inquire.   Rosa the student nurse asked my permission to stay and observe; I said sure, she of Hispanic origin and pleasant demeanor.   Dr. Hamamah, my palindromic gastroenterologist, has an Arabic name.   He told me it meant "dove." 

       The nurse overseeing my coming out of anesthesia, Magdalena, is Philippine.   I mentioned the diversity of Kaiser personnel in names and background, and she said, "Yes, we...I...came here for something better."  "My family too," I said.  And many others'.

No comments:

Post a Comment