Monday, December 3, 2012

Supreme Court to Consider DOMA?

       I haven't liked the "Defense of Marriage Act" from the first time I heard it.  There is NO way to distinguish by ear between a "Defensive Marriage Act" and a "Defense of Marriage Act."  The unaccented "ive" and "of" syllables have exactly the same sound in connected speech.

       I thought it must mean something like putting up one's dukes to protect a mate.   And the abbreviation DOMA?  Something to do with a dome?  Just a little short of "dumb."

       I could say pretty eloquent words in defense of marriage myself, but I would like to see those who want to marry another of the same sex have that privilege and responsibility, those benefits and society's imprimatur that go with marital status.

       But on grounds of sound alone, Supreme Court, you have my blessing to declare DOMA unconstitutional.

No comments:

Post a Comment