Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Please Delete This Message


       Every day I am spoken to incorrectly in my house.  The source of this failed use of language?  My microwave oven.

       I warm up my coffee, the printed message comes on for me:  "Enjoy your meal."  This is meant to be a simulated form of human contact...even utilizing the word "your."  But most times, it's not a "meal."  It's a drink, it's popcorn, hot cereal, defrosted meat.

       I feel insulted.  I can do without words accompanying this service, especially ill-considered ones.  Better design time would have been spent creating a door that's user-friendly and shuts without force-10 pressure and the tinny clatter of a clunky car door.

      

1 comment:

  1. your microwave speaks to you? i wish that my fridge would speak to me. if it did - i would hope it would say...shut the bloody door, you're fat or maybe more lighthearted, yes, the light really does go out when the door is closed.

    ReplyDelete