Thursday, September 5, 2013

"Oof-da"


       Last night, my neck was tight, tense.   That's where I  show my stress.  I asked Connie for a rub, which usually turns into a pummeling mixed with kneeding.  Connie was particularly thorough, giving me an "Oh, it hurts, stop / no, it's wonderful, keep going" response.

       When she was finished, I was finished.   I slid away with an involuntary "OOf-da" coming out of my mouth.  I hadn't uttered-muttered-breathed-sighed that in a long time.  It's Minnesotan, and Connie remembered it too.

       I knew it was Scandinavian, but that was about it.  Wikipedia filled in.  It's definitely Upper-Midwest, Norwegian in origin, spelled lots of ways, and is used as "a term for sensory overload."  I like that.

       An example of usage:  the logo of the Fargo Marathon includes the phrase "26.2 miles ... Uffda!"

No comments:

Post a Comment