Wednesday, September 11, 2013

An "Honor" Reading Still Needs Work, 2


       I'm reading from an older High Holy day prayer book, and the word "Lord" needs to be changed when I read it to "Adonai," the way the Hebrew word is read, partially due to more recent sensitivities to the masculine implications of "Lord," thus leaving the gender neutral.

       Basically, even though I read and re-read this prayer and try to understand it, I find myself at this moment at a total loss for how to say it.  It's a prayer for abundance, and happiness, and peace, etc., and it's asked for our congregation and maybe every Jew in the world, maybe (still) every person of  faith.  There's something selfish about it.

       I'm at pains with it, not knowing how to approach it, partly wondering how I can speak for the whole congregation, let alone, all Jews or all congregations of faith.   

      

      

No comments:

Post a Comment