Friday, September 6, 2013

"Eucerin," Pronounced??


       There's a skin moisturizer called Eucerin.   I hear it pronounced YOU-suh-rin, but ever since it was first given me at Kaiser Hospital, I've said it as YOU-kuh-rin--until recently.

       It looks like a Greek word to me.  And how do you pronounce Euclid?  Or eucalyptus?  Or Eucharist?  They're all Greek in origin.  All have the hard "c."

       And then I remembered the lesson I myself learned while tutoring 3rd graders in reading:  Use a soft "c" when it's followed by "e," "i," or "y."  When followed by almost anything else, it seems, "c" becomes hard, even the other vowels "a," "o," or "u":  "cat," "cow," "cut."

                    "Cindy ate cereal, cinnamon, celery, and apple cider.  Then                          she bicycled to the city to see the circus.  Animals pranced
                      and people swung from the ceiling."

No comments:

Post a Comment