Monday, September 9, 2013

An "Honor" Reading Still Needs Work, 1


       I was asked to read a few paragraphs of the liturgy on Yom Kippur morning this Saturday.
 
       On my first familiarization reading a few days ago, one sentence caught my eye:   "Bless this holy congregation...together with all other holy congregations, in all lands near and far."  I thought it might refer to all religious congregations of any faith and have quite ecumenical implications.  But today I really registered the title of my passage, "FOR OUR CONGREGATION AND OUR PEOPLE," and realized it was speaking of Jewish congregations everywhere. 

       Today I picked up on a reference to "the blessing of Moses."  What was that and where was it in the Torah?  The computer suggested two possibilities but finally helped get me to the exact verse, Deuteronomy 1:11.   Ah, yes.

      
 

       

No comments:

Post a Comment