Thursday, August 22, 2013

"Sorry," 1


       A famous book...an especially famous movie... caused an expression to catch on:  "Love means not having to say you're sorry."

       I've had to revise the phrase for another purpose recently because several young people I've played doubles tennis with as my partners have apologized whenever they do something they conceive to be their fault after we lose a point.  "I'm sorry, Don."  I always say, "Please don't apologize; otherwise I'll have to apologize every time I make a mistake, and it'll go on all morning.  Tennis means not having to say you're sorry."  They always smile.

       It's true.  It applies.  I have to remind my partners several more times, but usually they finally catch themselves and hold up with "Sor--"...oh yeah, (smiling) ok."

       "Tennis means not having to say you're sorry."  Heck, maybe life means not having to say you're sorry.
     
       (The above recollection is the occasion for my post tomorrow!)

No comments:

Post a Comment