Friday, August 9, 2013

"Fug"


       OK, I didn't know this word, and Connie did.  It kind of shocked me, not that Connie knew it and I didn't, but that it was a printable word at all.  "Fug."  My association would have been a word pervasively used and allowed in Norman Mailer's post World War II novel Naked and the Dead, a slight euphemism for battlefield talk:   "fuggin.'"

       Mary McNamara's L.A. Times review of a TV show some time back spoke of "the fug of male cluelessness that hangs over so many comedies these days."  Merriam-Webster defines "fug" as "the stuffy atmosphere of a poorly ventilated space; also :  a stuffy or malodorous emanation."  The word dates from 1888, perhaps an alteration of "fog."

       My vocabulary has gone up.  (If I can forget my other association.)

No comments:

Post a Comment