Thursday, August 1, 2013

"I've Taken on Teachers"


       I had marveled recently at the effectiveness of Rabbi Dan of our congregation in his weekly Torah study group.  He headed some sessions years back, but now he was a master teacher, taking us places we never could have imagined and always ending with unavoidable challenges to us on how we were conducting our lives in relationship with others.

       I praised Dan one-on-one after his last study session, just before he moved up to become senior rabbi in another congregation.  He thanked me, and I asked him what made the difference from those early sessions.  He said, "I've taken on teachers."  That surprised me.  "I used to think I knew best, that I could do better than anyone.  Now I have questions, go online, email friends and colleagues I know can help."

         

No comments:

Post a Comment