Monday, August 12, 2013

Front Page Puns


       Sports pages and comics aren't the only places where puns thrive in the L.A. Times.  Today's front page has a story headlined "Helping kelp now an urchin matter."  The subheadline reads "Divers cull the spiny purple creatures that are ravaging the giant algae off Palos Verdes [Peninsula]."

       Sorry to hear the sea urchins need to be culled because they are beautiful, even if a bit scary:
 


And I have a couple other reasons to be attracted to the story.  I possess a sea urchin shell found on a local Pacific beach (sans spines):
 
Topside
Mouth on Underside




 It's only













 2 1/2 inches in diameter.








And then Connie's favorite cooking show recently had the aspiring cooks competing to make the best dish from the live creatures.

       My shell's perfectly symmetrical shape is lovely, but please don't accuse me of being spineless for not wishing to personally meet an urchin in spiny condition.  From the cooking show's very careful handling, I gathered I would find that an "urgent matter."

No comments:

Post a Comment