Friday, August 2, 2013

"Pyracantha"


Pyracantha, Pomegranate, Magnolia
       This is one of three trees/shrubs that grow in our back yard within sight of our kitchen window.  They're all interesting to me as words and because I didn't know them growing up in Minnesota.

Pyracantha
      



"Pyracantha" comes to us through Latin from Greek purakantha, meaning "fire thorn."   



The Berries Now
   



I have several "pin-pricks" from thorns while trimming the other day.

      
     

      


The bush has red-orange berries in the fall, hence the "fire" name.  (Pyromaniacs set fires).



        When our first pyracantha died from lack of watering, I had it replaced quickly:  I wanted a reprise of the "drunken squirrel" incident.  Squirrel became intoxicated from late season berries that had become fermented, and he would do 3 1/2 foot somersaults in the air from ground level.  He also kept coming back for more!  I await same from our "second edition" pyracantha.














No comments:

Post a Comment