Wednesday, August 28, 2013

"I Have a Dream"


       Fifty years ago today, Connie and I sat in our living room in Minneapolis and watched Martin Luther King deliver his most famous speech at the March on Washington.  We knew by the time it finished it was one of the great speeches of American history.

       Listening to it in its entirety again yesterday, I think I understood more fully why.  It certainly laid claim to the rights of a people denied for so long in so many ways, and it spoke for that audience.  But just as importantly, it appealed to the whole nation on the basis of the rights promised in our founding documents:  "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal."  It made us see and feel how far short of America's own expressed ideals and values the country had come. 

1 comment:

  1. Don, MLK, Jr.'s speech was indeed historical. While segregation was in full swing at the tine MLK, Jr. uttered the words..."I have a dream"... the sad part for me is that some people, in particular the race baiters like Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton have not understand or perhaps don't wish to, hear and truly live the message that MLK, Jr., was conveying to the masses that day. Color. What is color? In 50 years, my opinion is that we, as a whole society have not progressed much. I wonder what Rev. Dr. King would think?

    ReplyDelete