Tuesday, July 23, 2013

"ONCE Only"


       The epigraph to Mary Oliver's book Swan is a quote from Rilke's Duino Elegies.  It took me two or three readings, but I felt repaid for them:


               Everyone once, once only.  Just once and no more.
               And we also once.  Never again.  But this having been
               once, although only once, to have been of the earth,
               seems irrevocable.


       Taking that seriously is a lot of the import of Mary Oliver's poems:


              When it's over, I don't want to wonder
              if I have made of my life something particular, and real.
              I don't want to find myself sighing and frightened,
              or full of argument.

              I don't want to end up simply having visited this world.
                                               from "When Death Comes"


        (By the way, "epigraph" simply means "writing above or upon" from the Greek.)

 

                    

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. dad, i love that rilke quote! and the last line from mary's "when death comes", "I don't want to end up simply having visited this world.", reminds me of mary's last line from her poem "the summer day" -

    Tell me, what is it you plan to do
    with your one wild and precious life?

    love,

    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete