Monday, September 29, 2014

More Speculating French vs. English


       Cases in point:


              English--"I am five years old."
              French--"J'ai cinq ans."  ["I have five years."]

There is a sense of accumulation in the French.  "I've lived those, and they're mine."  In the English, "This is how far I've progressed in my age; that's what I am, no more."

              English--"I am angry."
              French--"Je me fache."  ["I anger myself."]

"I am angry" is feeling I am in; therefore, who knows how long it could last?  "Je me fache," the anger is an action of mine; I could stop it at any time--or make it go on.


       Does the French suggest the speaker is more at the center of an ongoing life and in control than the English speaker, who is less assertive and ego-centered, but perhaps also more at sea?  (Compare posts of August 27 & 28, 2014.)

No comments:

Post a Comment