Monday, September 15, 2014

Is a Preposition Something I can End a Sentence with?


       Most of us have heard of this one.  I think it was Winston Churchill who mocked the proscription by saying "A preposition at the end of a sentence is something up with which I will not put."

       I learned today that the proposed rule was initially advocated by l7th century British Poet Laureate John Dryden.  English was coming into its own as a language by this time, and Dryden thought it needed regularity, rules.  He believed that following Latin was the correct path, and Latin did not let a preposition end a sentence.

       The rule-makers had noble goals but were not to win out, which, some think, may be one reason English has become as popular a language as it is. 

        I discovered this while at the online website "The World in Words."

No comments:

Post a Comment