Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Montanans Revisited


       Re my post "Words, Sounds, Meaning" of Monday, September 8th, 2014, I told of two Montanans who had similar character traits and that all the words I could think of to describe them had "sta" in them, an Indo-European root meaning "stand," and these were both "stand-up" folks in many ways.

       The other day I talked with one of those two Montanans and his wife, mentioned the post and sent it to them.  The wife especially agreed that the words definitely applied but then informed me those qualities also applied to the other part of his (and her) heritage, Scottish.

       This astonished me when I realized the other Montanan I knew was ALSO Scottish in background.  Have to rethink this.  Are these Montanan or Scottish characteristics, or BOTH?  But the "sta" words do apply.

No comments:

Post a Comment