Monday, June 9, 2014

Language to Boost an Ego


       I was at the checkout stand in the grocery store, having completed my every-other-week shopping for Connie and myself.  The cart was stuffed.  The bagger offered to help unload the cart, and I gladly accepted.  As I took out my credit card at the register, the checker said, "What job do you have?"  I was kind of surprised.  "Professor," I said, "I was; retired now."  I thought maybe it had something to do with the quantity of groceries I was purchasing, but that didn't compute somehow.  "Why do you ask?" 

       Smiling, the 20-to-30-something checker said, "Well, I like your style!  The cap, everything."  He turned to the bagger and said, "I hope I look like that when I retire."

       "Thanks," I said, really meaning it.
 

What the retired prof looked like back at the checkstand.

1 comment:

  1. Dad,

    You always look great! I hope to look as fit & groovy as you when I hit my mid-80's!

    Love,

    Ellizabeth

    ReplyDelete