Friday, March 27, 2020

Do Public Service Messages Live On?


        A few blog posts back, I said a clever bit of public interest ad language won me over for wittiness and the value of its point, but was otherwise a "stretch."   And that was "Don't drive intexticated."

        It reminded me of an earlier public interest ad (or maybe poster?) by a writer in a public health department in Minnesota.  I believe the writer was assigned to get the word out that public spitting was not de rigueur in Minnesota.

       The words that came out of his brain and therefore out of his pen and into the public sphere were

                IF YOU EXPECT TO RATE, DON'T EXPECTORATE!!   

I have long chuckled about that motto, which I think never caught on...anywhere...in my home state or elsewhere, but which, in my opinion, deserves to be immortalized.


 
     

No comments:

Post a Comment