Sunday, May 24, 2015

"Unraveling"


       Looks like a good play and praised by a worthy critic, but the capsule review of The Other Place in the L.A. Times has a usage that leaves me hung up when I come across it.  Here's the quote:


       "Andre Barron's suave direction prohibits our getting ahead of the steadily unraveling plot . . ."

     
       Now I believe I know what the critic meant, something like skilled and smooth directing prevents us from leaping too quickly to mistaken conclusions about upcoming twists in the story; however, doesn't "unraveling" also suggest that the plot itself is disintegrating, "steadily" coming apart before your very eyes?

       That's the hangup I have with the use of "unraveling" this way, as one would if an untethered piece of yarn were pulled until the whole garment just disappeared.        



No comments:

Post a Comment