Wednesday, November 5, 2014

"Coming Back Like a Song," Part 4


       Maybe the most surprising song prompter is rhythmic association, not the exact word itself, but the rhythm of a word.

       While looking in the fridge to see if I had enough frozen yogurt:  “This’ll do,” I said out loud.  The rhythm of it (pitches too?) reminded me of “Over There,” and I was off singing it.  I wouldn't have recalled this  even five minutes later had I not purposely tried to catch it.

       After a morning run, I noticed a book of Connie's, and something happened when I mumbled the author's name:  "Lovesy."  “Kiss me once and kiss me twice and kiss me once again, It’s been a long, long time.”  The rhythm of “Lovesy” transferred itself by the alchemy of memory and association to “Kiss me,” and I was suddenly singing with great delight!


            (Click on this post for a good instance of rhythmic association.)   (I even sing it for you!)

  


No comments:

Post a Comment