Saturday, April 19, 2014

On Stage Fright, Part 3


[I knew everybody was waiting for my next words, but I was frozen.]

       Something told me that movement might help break the ice jam.  I turned and walked laterally across the stage, and as I walked, the line came back to me.  Then I realized I couldn’t blurt it out or everyone would be certain I’d had a bad lapse.  I took a couple more steps, turned deliberately toward the audience as though this had been a significant pause for effect (though the content didn’t call for it), and calmly but forcefully came forth with the line.  I really don’t think anybody knew I’d lost my place.

       I promised not to talk to myself like that again in the remaining moments of the speech.

       I won the contest and a $50 prize, but things went almost too smoothly.  Maybe that’s why Chinese painters put a small purposeful thumb smudge on their paintings.  Human efforts are not supposed to be “perfect.”

1 comment:

  1. I like it. How did the "too smooth" quality of your oratory bear itself out? It it actually WAS too smooth, don't you think that would have affected your showing?

    ReplyDelete