Sunday, April 27, 2014

How a Street Sign Revived a Song


       I saw a street sign yesterday and said it aloud: "Sherman Way."   Something in it started me singing,

             "Dada Dada, etc., Boom-too-dee-ay."

"Sherman Way" had shaken my memory banks and resuscitated "Rose O'Day."  Same rhythm; it rhymes.  The chorus:

             Rose O'Day
             Rose O'Day
             ? ? ? ? ? ?
             Boom-too-dee-ay

Later, Internet texts of the lyrics filled in the Dadas with sounds that didn't quite fit my memory!

       Finally You Tube gave me the right words in Kate Smith's singing of it on record in 1942...when I was twelve!  72 years ago. 

             Rose O'Day
             Rose O'Day
             You're my filla-ga-dusha
             Shinna-ma-rusha
             Bahl-da-ra-da
             Boom-too-dee-ay

Thus did a random street sign, once uttered, renew the life of a truly forgotten song.

       Kate sings it for you here.

      

No comments:

Post a Comment