Wednesday, January 15, 2014

"Peregrinations"


       I used this word in an email today.  It seemed to come out of thin air.  Writing of a former student,  now friend of long standing, I mentioned that "I followed her job peregrinations."  She'd had a few different ones in those years after graduation.  Was it a right use?

       First contact with online defining made the meaning sound like "traveling on foot."  Oops.  Asking Connie, she thought "wandering," which was more in my ball park.  Online, Reference.com used the word in a sentence:  "His peregrinations in and around the mediums of drawing and photography nearly amount to a second and third career."  That echoes my own use pretty closely.

       Gathering from a few dictionaries:  Latin roots meaning "through the land"; journeying or traveling from place to place; wandering, migrating.  I'll claim victory.

      

      

No comments:

Post a Comment