Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Haiku--Issa--Hass


       What strikes me about so many Haiku and makes me prize them is that little "explosion" in the third line.  Hass captures them in his translations of Issa's poems, and in his oral readings of them!  Here are five of my favorites from the nine Hass shared in yesterday's post:

             Don't worry, spiders,                        Goes out,
          I keep house                                    comes back;
             casually.                                              the love life of my cat.


             Even with insects--             The whole time I pray to Buddha                  some can sing,                     I keep on             
             some can't.                           killing mosquitoes.              


                                            Napped half the day;
                                         no one
                                            punished me!
       

            

No comments:

Post a Comment