Friday, January 10, 2014

"Obliterate"


       I've had occasion to think about this word today.   I was worried that something I'd done could end up obliterating my whole blog.  Hopefully this will not happen though I'm still worried.  So I sat and looked at the word "obliterate" and realized the word for "letter" is in there, from Latin littera, and in fact you have the whole English word "literate."

       But I thought "obliterate" meant "destroy utterly" anything the word is referring to.   Of course that is what it often does mean, but it's by extension from the meaning embedded in the Latin root, to "wipe out, erase, the letters, the words."

       So in this case, though I hadn't realized it when the word came to me, I was literally concerned about my blog being obliterated.

No comments:

Post a Comment