Monday, June 17, 2013

Father's Day, Plus 1


       Two years ago this day, I wrote the following:

       June 17, 2011--In honor of Father’s Day, daughter Elizabeth’s weekly poem to her mailing list was from “Song of the Open Road” in Walt Whitman’s Leaves of Grass, a book I’d given her. Elizabeth cited the note I’d written, about my having performed Whitman’s poem:  “I loved doing it. He so energizes you.”

       Whitman did so again, but one line stuck out for me this time:

                        "[Wisdom] applies to all stages and objects and                     qualities, and is content..."

reminding me of the saying of an 18th century Chasid, Rabbi Michal:

                         "My life was blessed because I never needed anything until I had it. "

Elizabeth’s blog for today [June 17, 2011] reprints the Whitman excerpt.  You can find it here.



 

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. alas...the insertion of www does not seem to set up the link either.

    NEVER MIND :-P

    ReplyDelete