Sunday, June 2, 2013

A Rabbi Retires


       Twice in a year we've "lost" a rabbi.   One advanced to senior rabbi at another congregation, and now our own senior rabbi, is retiring to live in Israel.   Don Goor, rabbi for 26 years with us, left some text-based thoughts on Friday night to ponder for our lives.    The first is from the Torah in Deuteronomy:

       "Do not say, 'My strengths and my might have allowed me to achieve greatness.'  No one individual, not even Moses, can say, 'Look what I did.'"

The second text is from Pirke Avot (The Sayings of the Fathers):

       "Who is rich?  He who is content with his portion."

I treasure these, and they very much marked the man himself, including that he never taught a class without a text in hand to read and ponder with us together. 





1 comment:

  1. our elder parish priest is not long for this world, but his homilies during mass are exceptional. rather than dictate or shove some nonsense down our throats, father Thomas gives his parishioners food for thought. his sermons include questions, and what ifs, which I believe truly allow the audience to search out the answers in the bible and within our own souls. I treasure every word he speaks.

    ReplyDelete