Monday, June 24, 2013

"Dressage"


       I learned something.  In the wonderful movie “Buck,” a first class documentary about the real “horse whisperer,” Buck Brannaman, someone pointed out the marvels of “dressage.”
 
       Horses are rehearsed in doing the most refined movements of which they are capable, almost ballet.  But the horse is actually being asked to do what is very useful in all sorts of work situations, herding cattle, roping steers, etc.  And once it gets the idea, “OK then, this is PRACTICE,” the horse goes right along with dressage (French dresser, "train," "drill").

       I guess I never realized all that side-stepping and backing and prancing were not just hoidy toidy stuff for upper class watchers to revel in, but useful maneuvers, and which provide the horse an added sense of self-worth. 

2 comments:

  1. Hey Dad,

    I remember learning about dressage when I was riding with Parks and Rec when I was a teen. It *is* more than just a beautiful thing to behold.

    The movie "Buck" is an amazing film, in so many ways. Thank you for reminding me that it is time for me to see it again. And, go riding!

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. don: I could seriously kick myself twice since Buck was in Hayden earlier this summer...a mere 15 minutes away. Buck's story is so incredible and reminds us that some people suffer hardships and great obstacles in life - BUT, we all have the ability to overcome those and bring a positive light to a sometimes clouded world.

    ReplyDelete