Friday, August 19, 2016

The Calvary's Coming!


       Perhaps if I'd been brought up Christian, I would not always make the mistake of reading "Calvary" as "cavalry."

       I see proud troops ahorse, pounding to the rescue!

       Calvary is the ancient hill near Jerusalem where Christ was crucified, usually thought to have been called "Golgotha," a Greek transcription of an Aramaic word from the New Testament, and meaning something like "place of the skull."  That was translated into Latin in the Vulgate, becoming "Calvariae," and thence into English for the King James Bible: "Calvary." 

        Cavalry is from French cavallerie from Italian cavalleria and ultimately from Latin caballarius meaning "horseman."

       Now pardon me, please, as, heart thumping, I ride off into the dusty and obscure verbal sunset.    

No comments:

Post a Comment