Tuesday, January 19, 2016

This couldn't have happened online.


       Connie asked if I knew the poet C. D. Wright; there was an obit in the New York Times she was reading.  I couldn't recall I'd read anything by her; Connie said she did interesting things with language, and she thought I'd like to see the obituary.  I would.

       She tore it out laboriously on a lazy Sunday morning and handed it to me.  In the midst of other reading, I folded it,  put it in my pocket for later.  That afternoon, I took it out, sat down, unfolded.  The article was  totally intact.  I read the headline:

Leonid Zhabotinsky, Strongman for the Ages, Dies at 77

My mind finally shifted gears, and as I glimpsed a photo of the large-bodied Russian weight lifter and turned the sheet over for the poet, I started laughing, told my son what had happened, and had one of those uproarious moments you can't contain easily, good for the soul and the system before I started reading of an artist I wanted to know, as too often happens, after her life was over.  

No comments:

Post a Comment