Wednesday, January 20, 2016

It grabs you somehow: "turquoise"


       I was surprised to learn what the word "turquoise" comes from.  I guess especially surprised when realizing I should have thought of it at some time, but hadn't: "Turkey."

       It starts to get complicated when you realize the word derives from French.  The belief was that the colorful stone came from Turkey, thus the borrowed term into French; but it probably was that the stone was sold in Turkish bazaars, though originating in another Middle Eastern country.

       Yet, oddly, I learned of the word's source in an L.A. Times Sunday "Travel Section" article speaking of "Turkey's Turquoise Coast":

Click on Photo to Enlarge & Read its Caption
Incidentally, I want to swim in that ancient ruin.

       Meanwhile, as I understand it, the color "turquoise" derives from the stone, not those waters off Turkey.  And however confusing I find this, the stone, the waters, the color, the word all have me in their sway.

No comments:

Post a Comment