Wednesday, January 20, 2016

"Grandfathering"-in a Prescription


       I unintentionally amused my primary physician Dr. McKenzie when we were talking about my medications one day.   I told him that when I asked my urologist Dr. Abber recently an incidental question about selenium which Dr. Abber had prescribed 18 years before following a prostatectomy, he said, "You're still taking that?  That was believed back then; that's no longer true.  Stop taking it--you've got lots of other meds you need.  Stop taking it!"

       My primary Dr. McKenzie chuckled a little.   And then I told him, "I stopped selenium for one day, but having taken it for so long, I decided to follow the advice of the old Dr. Abber, I mean the young Dr. Abber, and not that of the older Dr. Abber."  And then he really laughed.

No comments:

Post a Comment