Thursday, January 22, 2015

"ho-mo-phone"


       I'm a speech kind of guy--so I'm subject to  this kind of mistake, which I just spied on a previous post:  "cite" for "site," speaking of a website.

       Who can always remember that there's site and there's cite and there's sight?  And the root meanings of cite and site don't really help you distinguish and understand much about the difference and the "rightness" of one or the other.

       And just today, I'm picking up my first hearing aids which are by "Siemens," and of course in my head are rolling around "seaman's" and "semen's"; you want a sentence?  OK, a "seaman's" favorite place is at sea, and "semen's" very sticky.

       Look, these are . . . both groups . . . "Same sound" words = "homophones."   Same sound words homophone. 

       And suddenly all I can think of is "ET phone home." 

No comments:

Post a Comment