Thursday, December 4, 2014

Therapy by any other name would smell as sweet.


       Returned for a second physical therapy session today.  Had a new therapist, but he'd read the notes for me and followed up effectively.

       My first therapist's name was Timothy.  His face was of Asian descent, and I saw his last name was Peng.  Arriving today I see a another Asian face, but this therapist's first name was Calvin; his last was Lum.

       Two young men with distinctly non-Asian first names.  I'd guess there was a parental desire to put an American imprint on their future lives in this country, so they could feel at home, less "foreign."

       And then I recalled my parents, both of recent immigrant background, who chose "Donald" for me, not a Central European nor Jewish sound to it.  Assimilation; an understandable goal, but not necessarily easy nor without its ironies.

No comments:

Post a Comment