Tuesday, December 30, 2014

"Chifforobe"


       I hadn't used that word in a long time.  Probably many younger folk will wrinkle their eyebrows.

       I referred to the chest of drawers that's in my bedroom.  Was I using it accurately? 

       The AHD calls "chifforobe" "a tall piece of furniture typically having drawers on one side and space for hanging clothes on the other" [behind a "closet door" that is like a cabinet].  Mine is only the tall, wide chest of drawers, which I sometimes call the "dresser."

       A "chiffoniere" is a high narrow chest of drawers, sometimes with a mirror on top.

       "Chifforobe" is from French chiffon, deriving from chiffe meaning "rag" + (ward)robe.

       So I wasn't accurate about mine (can't hang clothes).  Pronunciation?   iPhone had it right in its unique way when it converted my voicing into text:  "Schiffer Robe."

No comments:

Post a Comment