Wednesday, December 17, 2014

"Do You Know What My Name Is?"



       Connie and I saw a documentary of that title today, Alzheimer patients taking very elementary arithmetic, reading, and writing lessons a half hour each morning to help them regain skills and social attributes they'd in major part lost.

       These elders couldn't recall the name of a person who introduced himself to them five minutes before.   With the repetition of the lessons over six months, progress became evident, and the name would be rememberable.  Interest in things long since left behind, like knitting, self-grooming, plus sociability with others started shining through.

       I am TERRIBLE with names, at age 84, not far from these Alzheimer patients' ages, trying to maintain my own faculties.  As Connie works with "Lumosity" brain program daily and I keep this blog about language each day, we may be on the right track.

No comments:

Post a Comment