Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Smart Phones Help the Blind (Too)


       What a blessing the smart phone has been for Jolie, our leader in the Los Angeles Radio Reading Service.  Jolie is blind, but she knows EVERYTHING about her iPhone.

       Nowadays text can be translated to speech; speech can be translated to text.  Today Jolie could send me a text message by speaking aloud into iPhone's microphone and having it transferred to print for me to read, letting me know we have to cancel tomorrow's program.  I responded to her message instantly by the same modes, and she could listen to my text.

       In our entire exchange with multiple back-and-forths between voice and print, print and voice,  only one word was muffed.  Jolie's spoken "acknowledge" became "add knowledge."

       No one was heard (or read) to complain, least of all Jolie or I.

     

No comments:

Post a Comment