Wednesday, August 27, 2014

"I Call Myself" / "I Am" / "I Am Called," Part 2


       If the name is not a part of my essence or being but something I call myself (as with French), it's a moniker, a label, a "handle" as Texans might say, something to get ahold of me by; without it, I'm not a graspable package.  In other terms, there's no pigeon hole for me, no "address" to find me, to see me home, to send me a message.  So let's agree that you'll call me by this name, and everything'll be all right; the assertive ego staking its claim in the world.

       So what of the "is of identity" (as with English)?  "I am Jake."  "I'm Hillary Rodham Clinton."  "I'm Don."

       Then that's who I am; that's my substance.  Give me a "title," whether first or last or maiden name or all together, and that's the core of me.  Without the name I am nothing.  A pretty flimsy ego if it rests on simply and only that which is exterior to me yet is supposed to individuate and particularize me.

       And since so much rests on my name, the fate of my very self, both it and I are more "fragile" phenomena in English than in French.  


No comments:

Post a Comment