Wednesday, August 27, 2014

"I Call Myself" / "I Am" / "I Am Called," Part 1


       "Je m'appelle Don."  I am back in high school French class.  The French way of saying your name.  Rather than the English "I am..." or "My name is..." "Je m'appelle..."  "I call myself Don."

       An interesting difference.  The "is of identity" in English:  the "subjects" on either side of the "copulative" "is" are equivalent, are the same, are identical, I am that name.  This name constitutes my core, my essence, my very being.  My name is who I am.

       The reflexive form of "appellation" in French is an act of the one named, not the "is" of being, but the act of doing:  "I call myself."

       Such differences, one is tempted to speculate, do they make a difference in character, in psychological approach to "self"?

      

No comments:

Post a Comment