Sunday, March 16, 2014

"Olé!"/"Hola!"


       (Written last night.)

       I hope I don't do tomorrow at tennis what I did last Sunday.

       Every time my partner and I executed a winning point, I'd yell out "Hola!"  (Pronouncing it [ho-LAH].)  I didn't know what I was saying. 

       Sounded Spanish, of course, but I wasn't sure.

       AFTERWARDS.  I discovered the word I thought I was saying but wasn't: "Olé!" [o-LAY], which is Spanish for "Bravo!"

       And then I discovered the word I was saying last week, "Hola."  It is Spanish, but for "Hello!" which I shouted in triumph and self-congratulation; plus, the "h" is silent [o-LAH]!

       Now I know why they were snickering on the other side of the net.  They lost that set of tennis, but they had a laugh on me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment