Saturday, March 22, 2014

How I Read Aloud, 4


[engaged in the tensions of discovery as am I.]

       The main difference between myself and some other readers in the room is that I am not self conscious, wondering and worrying whether I will stumble or how my voice sounds or if I can read well enough given that others are listening to me, but only concentrating on the unfolding play of meaning and situation and attitude that faith tells me holds some increased understanding and wisdom and delight--if I only stay with it--both for myself and others.  While we’re getting to that place of understanding, the provisional undulations of tone and meaning themselves can hold interest from moment to moment because we are mutually engaged in this joint tracking through the black marks on the page, trying to decipher what they hold.

No comments:

Post a Comment