Friday, March 21, 2014

How I Read Aloud, 3


[what's going on that makes it listenable isn't what most people would think it is.]

       I was simply following the story along from word to word as I was reading it, putting on a vocal attitude here that might be called for based on the previous few words and seeing if it works, and if it does, continuing in this vein to the end of a thought or end of the sentence, provisionally testing the ongoing flow of meaning for what it might possibly be heading toward, guessing right enough of the time to build up a bit of steam with the gathering context and implications of the story.

 
       What is making it listenable?  That my listeners are identifying with me in this impromptu situation, trying on the attitudes and tones with me, engaged in the tensions of discovery as am I.

No comments:

Post a Comment