Thursday, March 20, 2014

How I Read Aloud, 2


       [The voice is incidental.]

       I’ve discovered this is true whether I’m reading something I’ve prepared and worked hard on and thought and experimented much with before reading for others, or whether I’m doing a sight reading with everyone in the room including me being exposed to material for the first time.
 
       Let’s say it’s a Chasidic tale in a class where we’re all studying to learn what it is this part of Judaism has to offer us.  Each of us reads some part aloud that’s just been handed to us, and then we talk about it.  Some appreciation of my reading is expressed by others, and yes it was fluent, and yes the guy’s got a pretty good voice (God given of course; so who could take a compliment on this personally in any case), but what’s going on that makes it listenable isn’t what most people would think it is.


No comments:

Post a Comment