Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Writing Endings Can be Difficult


       Many, many in Los Angeles and elsewhere in California will have read today's "Appreciation" in the L.A. Times of public television broadcaster, host, interviewer, Huell Howser who has died after decades of exploring the state's high roads, byroads, and lives of unique and average Californians.

       The wonderful tribute was written by Robert Lloyd whose empathic columns on television I have praised before through email comment to him.  This column was an especially fine and comprehensive appreciation of Huell's talents and contributions.  Find it here.

       I do recommend your reading the piece.  But I also have to wonder about something.  After a warm, sensitive, and intelligent column, it seemed to end rather unsatisfyingly for all that had gone before.

       Lloyd begins his conclusion by quoting something Howser had said to Lloyd in 2009 for an earlier article:  "You could tell me that I couldn't go outside of a five-mile radius from where we're having breakfast right now for stories and I wouldn't blink an eye.  There's enough right within five miles to keep me busy the rest of my life."

       This was terrific, but Lloyd then ends his piece with "The stories will have to get along without him now."

       I couldn't help feeling Lloyd had short-changed himself for what his own column had built up to, and I simply wrote a final paragraph I thought Lloyd's appreciation had earned, especially after the quote from Huell himself:

       "I don't know that there's anybody in California who would disagree with that assertion by Huell, least of all the hundreds and thousands of people, ordinary and not-so-ordinary, whose stories he helped bring to light."

1 comment: